Monday, February 20, 2012

Week 6 - First Steps of My Project


A few thoughts about PowerPoint presentation. Interactive PowerPoint presentation was completely new to me and I liked its interactive elements a lot both during reading and creating my presentation though it was not so easy for me. I think creating a good presentation requires many efforts and skills of a teacher which should be refined. Sharing others’ opinions on presentation was also of great help to me.
This week I’ve begun implementing my project “Finding a Good Job” with students. The goal was to enhance their speaking skills simultaneously tackling a really pressing issue. I have two classes a week with these students and I informed them of the upcoming project last week. So at our first lesson this week I asked students to answer these questions: Which English language skills are needed for better job application?  How can you evaluate which jobs are appropriate for you?  What steps should you take to achieve this goal? They thought for a while and tried to reply. In their answer to the first question they mentioned that they need to speak English fluently. The second question was a bit difficult for students to answer. They were confused; most of them told that they would be teachers. But it never came to their mind that teaching also varies according to the environment: one can work at school, college, university, private study center or training department of a factory. Thus I made some explanations in order to make students ponder over this. Concerning the last question they noted that they should write a resume and pass a job interview and if they succeeded they could get a desired position. I was pleased they could express their opinion to some extent. Then I divided a class into two groups of four, one group’s task being to search the Internet for sample resumes and another one’s for sample cover letters.  Students should bring their findings along with the links where they took them from. Next lesson we looked through what they had done and discussed which resources were reliable and appropriate to them. The two groups shared their experience and findings. Then I provided them with the links to sample resume and cover letter so that they can write their own resumes and cover letters. I also told them that if they needed any help they could ask any time coming to my workplace or by e-mail. I’m looking forward to students’ work hoping they can accomplish it well.  

4 comments:

  1. Dear Zarifa,

    I really like the fact that your are engaging your students in the lesson plan and design. I believe this not only raise their motivation as they feel partners in the learning process but also help you focus your design to their needs and learning style.

    Great work!

    Hassan, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zarifa, would you want to be partners for the class project????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zarifa,

    I like the idea of using the PP to give students a chance to look into the future and seeing how they can improve their jobs and lives through the language.

    This is a good angle and would keep students very motivated to learn the language and improve from all aspects.

    Good idea Zarifa.

    Best
    Hakim Almasmari
    Yemen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zarifa,
    would you like to be my project partner?
    Ludmila, Moldova

    ReplyDelete